Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Plain Jane - Dove Evolution




Watching the Dove Evolution video I was very surprised as I got to look behind the scenes of bill board modeling. What grabbed my attention was the fact that before the makeup and the editing, the woman was just a plain Jane and there wasn’t anything special about her. And that’s are probably how most girls feel about themselves, that they are not special enough because they don’t look as beautiful as the girls on the billboards. What I find ironic is that there is nothing real about the girls on the billboards and that it is a plain Jane who’s simply beautiful.  But with more billboard pictures like that one it is difficult for girls to feel natural because they think it’s not enough to be on the top of a billboard or anywhere else. This problem of girl’s confidence reminds me of a song by the Canadian artist Drake. A verse in his song “Best I’ve ever had” states, “Sweat pants, hair tied, chilling with no makeup on, that’s when you’re the prettiest, I hope you don’t take it wrong”. Drake is saying to the ladies that they don’t have to be like those fake bill board models to be beautiful in life, I mean models don’t look like that every day right? All in all products that sell make up and use models to advertise their products are giving a negative image to not only girls at a you age, but woman as well.

1 comment:

  1. Otis,

    Also consider carefully who is sending this message... Why??? What is in it for Dove???

    Mrs.b

    ReplyDelete